Cheesy Italian Turkey Cauliflower Rice Casserole is every bit as delicious as it sounds. Made with a glorious combination of ground turkey, cauliflower rice, Greek yogurt, veggies, and a variety of cheeses, this low-carb recipe is a guaranteed show-stopper. Jump to Recipe and Video
281 CALORIES 12g CARBS 15g FAT 25g PROTEIN
Cheesy Italian Turkey Cauliflower Rice Casserole Recipe
We all know that the colder months are often referred to as soup season. While I do love a good soup, I think that casseroles deserve just as much hype during the wintertime. They’re warm, cozy, and bursting with rich and savory flavors. Once you’ve tried this Cauliflower Rice Casserole with ground turkey and veggies, you’ll be right there with me!
This low-carb dinner recipe is packed with protein, nutrients, and an insane amount of flavor. Add to that the fact that it comes together from start to finish in under 45 minutes and we’ve got ourselves the ultimate healthy winter recipe!
If you’ve got cauliflower rice haters in your life, this is the perfect dish to change their minds. Any time I’ve served this healthy turkey casserole to family and friends, they’ve been in utter shock when I told them the dish was made with cauliflower rice. Seriously, it’s so creamy and delicious that you can’t even tell it’s not rice. And even if you could? You wouldn’t care. It’s that good.
Because it only requires 15 minutes of prep time, this dish is the perfect dish for those busy weeknight dinners. Serve it on its own or pair it with a side salad for a crave-worthy healthy dinner you’ll want to enjoy again and again!
To make this healthy turkey casserole, you will need the following key ingredients:
- Ground turkey: Feel free to use any kind of ground turkey you like. I typically use the 93% lean version for this recipe. Alternatively, you could use ground chicken or beef instead.
- Cauliflower rice: This is our low-carb rice substitute that helps to make this dish ultra-satisfying for a complete meal. Make it yourself or use a store-bought option.
- Garlic: I always recommend using fresh when possible, but garlic powder will work in a bind.
- Canned tomatoes: While I prefer using the fire-roasted kind, you can use regular canned diced tomatoes if you like them better. Just make sure to drain them well!
- Greek yogurt: Often used in recipes as a healthy substitute for heavy cream or cream cheese, Greek yogurt is the key to getting a super creamy casserole. It also adds tons of healthy probiotics and protein to the dish.
- Cream cheese: This helps to form the base of our casserole and believe me when I tell you it’s the key to unlocking the most incredible flavor. To keep this dish on the lighter side, I prefer to use light cream cheese.
- Parmesan and mozzarella cheese: The dreamiest of combinations, these two types of cheese pair beautifully together for a mouth-watering final dish.
- Baby spinach: Not only does this add a nice pop of color to the dish, but it also adds tons of beneficial nutrients and a mild flavor that blends right in with the casserole flavors.
Here are my top tips and tricks to help you knock this low-carb dish out of the park:
- Drain your liquid. It’s so important to drain any excess liquid from the pan after you finish cooking your spinach and tomatoes. Leftover liquid will lead to a watery casserole, which — trust me on this — is not something you want.
- Don’t cover your casserole. Many casserole recipes require you to cover the dish with foil for the duration of its cook time. This recipe is not one of those! When baking this casserole, make sure to leave it uncovered so the cheesy crust on top is able to form.
- Wait before serving. I know it can be hard to wait, but this step is crucial. After you remove your casserole from the oven, let it rest for about 5 minutes. This really helps everything to firm up, which makes serving a whole lot easier and less messy.
How to Serve Cauliflower Rice Casserole
This healthy casserole recipe is a well-balanced meal all on its own, so don’t be afraid to serve it as a standalone dish. That being said, if you’re hosting a dinner party or looking to serve a larger meal for the family, you can easily pair it with your favorite side dishes. Here are some of my favorite dishes to serve with cauliflower rice casserole:
- Salad. This is a fool-proof side dish for any casserole. Not only is it easy to whip up while your dish is in the oven, but the fresh and light flavors are great for balancing out the heavier, rich flavors of the casserole. Try this Easy Arugula Salad.
- Veggies. Cooked veggies are a great addition to this delicious casserole recipe. Any roasted, grilled, or sautéed vegetables will work great, so just choose whatever you’re in the mood for. You can add some extra veggies to the casserole itself or cook some up to serve as a side dish.
- Bread. I think we can all agree that bread makes just about everything better. Try serving this casserole alongside some garlic bread or these Two Ingredient Dough Breadsticks.
How to Store Leftovers
One of the reasons I love casseroles so much is because they are beyond easy to store! Sometimes I like to prepare an extra casserole to store in the freezer for quick and easy dinners when I’m super busy. You would be surprised at how many times this tactic has come in handy!
To store leftover casserole, allow it to cool entirely, then seal it in an airtight storage container. Then, you can store your leftovers in one of two ways:
- In the fridge for up to 3 days.
- In the freezer for up to 6 months.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this healthy casserole recipe:
Yes! This dish is low in carbs and high in protein, fiber, and beneficial nutrients. Because it’s fairly high in fat, it should be consumed in moderation. As long as you watch the serving size, this dish is a perfectly healthy low-carb meal to add to your diet.
Absolutely. You can beef up this dish by swapping out the cauliflower rice for rice or quinoa. It will be higher in carbs and calories, but it will still be delicious and packed with protein and fiber!