Your new favorite savory snack!
This homemade Dill Pickle Chex Mix recipe is a brilliant savory variation to the well-known sweet Chex mix recipe. It’s great for holiday parties, game nights or anytime you feel in the mood for a tangy and salty snack!
Because I love Chex mix and all things dill pickle, this Dill Pickle Chex Mix recipe was a no-brainer. It’s Chex cereal, bagel chips, pretzels, and Cheez-its all coated in a flavorful oil base and then baked to crispy perfection.
If you’ve been following Fresh Family Meals for a while, you’ll have seen a variety of Chex Mix snacks that I’ve made. The options with Chex mix as a snack option are endless and this recipe is no exception!
TIPS FOR MAKING DILL PICKLE CHEX MIX?
- Use two cookie sheets to spread your Chex mix onto so that you can spread it out thinner which will provide a better uniform crunch.
- Add other seasonings that you prefer or a ranch packet to the seasoning mix.
- For heat, add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes to your Chex mix.
How to Make Dill Pickle Chex Mix
- Preheat oven to 250 degree F. In a large bowl add rice and corn chex, pretzels, cheez-its and bagel chips. Using a wooden spoon stir slowly to combine.
- Pour mixture onto a large baking sheet. In a large glass measuring cup combine oil and seasoning, stir to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients, stir to coat completely.
- Bake at 250 degrees F for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes. Cool completely before serving. Enjoy!
ARE THERE PICKLES IN THIS CHEX MIX?
- No, there aren’t any pickles in this Chex mix although this snack mix includes the tangy flavors of dill pickle.
IF THERE AREN’T ANY PICKLES, THEN WHAT MAKES THIS CHEX MIX TASTE LIKE PICKLES?
- Great question! It’s the combination of dried dill weed and other spices which gives this snack mix an authentic dill pickle taste.
HOW LONG CAN I KEEP DILL PICKLE CHEX MIX FOR?
- This Dill Pickle Chex Mix will keep well for about 1-2 weeks if stored in an airtight container at room temperature. This recipe is therefore great if you plan on making it ahead of time for parties or another social gathering where snacks will be involved.
WHAT OTHER ADDITIONS CAN I INCLUDE IN THIS DILL PICKLE CHEX MIX?
- This recipe is great because you can really customize it and make it your own. Here are some ideas of what you can add to your Dill Pickle Chex Mix:
- Oyster Crackers
- Goldfish Crackers
- Rye Crisps
- Sunflower Seeds
CAN I FREEZE CHEX MIX
- I don’t recommend freezing this Chex Mix as most of the ingredients would lose their crunch once being frozen and then thawed out. You’ll most likely be left with a soggy mess!
WHAT IF I DON’T HAVE BAGEL CHIPS?
- If you don’t have bagel chips for whatever reason, here is what I would suggest you do as a substitute:
- Take 3 bagels and slice thin rounds (some are pre-sliced in which case most will end up as half circle-shaped) and brush both sides with garlic butter (about 4 tablespoons melted butter, 3 minced cloves of garlic, and salt) and place them on a baking sheet. Then bake them until they are crispy, turning once every 15 – 20 minutes depending on how thick they were sliced.
Other Delicious Chex Mix Recipes
Dill Pickle Chex Mix
This homemade Dill Pickle Chex Mix recipe is a brilliant savory variation to the well-known sweet Chex mix recipe.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Hover over “serves” value to reveal recipe scaler
- 4 cups Rice Chex Mix
- 4 cups Corn Chex Mix
- 2 cups pretzels
- 2 cups cheez-its
- 2 cups bagel chips
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoons coriander
Preheat oven to 250 degree F. In a large bowl add rice and corn chex, pretzels, cheez-its and bagel chips. Using a wooden spoon stir slowly to combine.
Pour mixture onto a large baking sheet.
In a large glass measuring cup combine oil and seasoning, stir to combine. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients, stir to coat completely.
Bake at 250 degrees F for 1 hour, stirring every 15 minutes
Cool completely before serving.
Calories: 228kcal (11%)Carbohydrates: 32g (11%)Protein: 5g (10%)Fat: 9g (14%)Saturated Fat: 4g (20%)Polyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mg (2%)Sodium: 670mg (28%)Potassium: 23mg (1%)Fiber: 2g (8%)Sugar: 2g (2%)Vitamin A: 201IU (4%)Vitamin C: 2mg (2%)Calcium: 49mg (5%)Iron: 3mg (17%)