Slow Cooker Tomato Balsamic Chicken features chicken breasts, tomatoes, spinach, onions, and balsamic vinegar. It’s the perfect balance of savory and tangy, and makes for the ultimate cozy dinner with the family! Jump to Recipe and Video
227 CALORIES 12g CARBS 2g FAT 35g PROTEIN
Slow Cooker Tomato Balsamic Chicken Recipe
‘Tis the season of slow cooker dishes galore! As you can see from my extensive selection of cozy slow cooker recipes, we are big fans of the trusty slow cooker around here. From gloriously hearty side dishes to main courses that steal the show, I have made full use out of one of my favorite kitchen appliances this winter season.
Slow Cooker Tomato Balsamic Chicken is made with chicken breasts, canned tomatoes, fresh spinach, sweet onion, and balsamic vinegar. It’s packed with delectable flavor and is easily one of my favorite slow cooker chicken recipes of all time.
All you have to do is add your ingredients to the slow cooker, then sit back and relax as it does all the work for you. There is something so incredibly satisfying about hanging out and watching TV or getting work done, then beginning to smell the amazing dish as it comes to life on its own.
You can serve this Slow Cooker Tomato Balsamic Chicken on its own for a delicious low-carb dinner or serve it over rice, quinoa, angel hair pasta, or creamy polenta. This dish is savory, sweet, tangy, and beyond delicious. It’s perfect for quiet nights at home with the family, especially if you’re busy and looking for a hands-off dish!
Key Ingredients and Easy Swaps
To bring this mouth-watering slow cooker chicken dish to life, you’ll need the following key ingredients:
- Chicken breasts: Make sure to use the boneless and skinless kind. Alternatively, you could use boneless and skinless chicken thighs instead or lean pork.
- Canned tomatoes: You will want to use canned diced tomatoes and drain half of the liquid before using. You can used any type of diced tomatoes you like.
- Sweet onion: The natural sweetness of the onions pairs beautifully with the tangy flavors of balsamic vinegar. Any onion will work or swap in onion powder.
- Fresh spinach: In this case, fresh spinach is best. Frozen spinach would alos work, just defrost it and drain it first. Leave it out until the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- Balsamic vinegar: This sweet and tangy vinegar adds a ton of incredible flavor to this slow cooker chicken dish.
- Italian seasoning: You can use a store-bought blend or make your own using this quick and easy Italian Seasoning recipe. You can also swap in any other seasoning or spices you like.
Recipe Ideas and Ways to Customize
Want to make the best slow cooker chicken ever? Here are some of my top tips and tricks to help you make that happen:
- Add extra veggies. You can either swap out the spinach for kale or add some additional veggies to the mix. I love adding mushrooms to the slow cooker for the last hour of cooking.
- Cheese, please. Yes, this dish tastes fantastic with some cheese added at the end! Try grating some fresh parmesan cheese over the chicken or adding a sprinkle of mozzarella cheese.
- Add garnishes. For a stunning pop of color, add some fun and flavorful garnishes just before serving the dish. My top picks include fresh basil or parsley, freshly cracked black pepper, and lemon wedges.
Ways to Serve Tomato Balsamic Chicken
While this dish tastes absolutely delicious on its own, I like to pair it with a side dish or two to make it even more satisfying. Not sure what to serve? Here are some of my favorite dishes to serve with slow cooker balsamic chicken:
- With pasta. For the ultimate Italian-inspired feast, try serving this dish over a bed of angel hair pasta. Alternatively, for a low-carb meal you can serve the chicken over zoodles or spaghetti squash noodles.
- With grains. Looking for something on the heartier side? You can serve this dish over a whole grain like brown rice or quinoa. To keep it grain-free, try pairing the dish with a bowl of cauliflower rice.
- With polenta. One of my all-time favorite ways to serve this dish, creamy polenta pairs brilliantly with the savory and tangy flavors of the chicken. If you’re serving a group, this pairing guarantees to be a crowd-pleaser!
- With a salad. I love serving cozy slow cooker dishes like this one with a light and a refreshing side salad. Some of my top picks include my Easy Arugula Salad and this Healthy Caesar Salad.
How to Store Slow Cooker Chicken
To store leftovers of this dish, allow them to fully cool first. Once cooled, you can transfer the chicken to an airtight container and store it in one of two ways:
- In the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- In the freezer for up to 2-3 months.
Leftover slow cooker chicken works great as a quick and easy dinner option. You can also add it to a salad, grain bowl, or sandwich for lunch!
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about this slow cooker recipe:
Do I have to use chicken breast?
Nope. You can swap out the chicken breasts for chicken thighs if desired. Just make sure to use the boneless and skinless kind.
What should I serve with this dish?
I love serving my slow cooker chicken over a bed of angel hair pasta, creamy polenta, or quinoa. For a grain-free pairing, you could also serve it over cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles. It also tastes delicious with a simple side salad!
Can I cook this dish in the Instant Pot?
Yes! To cook this slow cooker chicken in the Instant Pot, simply add in your ingredients along with an additional ½ cup of chicken broth or water, then set the time to 10 minutes on high pressure. When the timer goes off, flip the nozzle to quickly release the pressure and mix in the spinach to allow it to wilt.